Monday, November 16, 2009

The Current


Definition,
ohms law shows that the current I is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.
Ohm's law show the relationship between Current,voltage and resistance.


I=V/R

Explanations:
One ohm is the unit of resistance.When this the amount of current through the resistance R connected across the source the potential difference V.With volts unit for V and ohms for R,The amount of current Is in amperes. Therefore,
Amperes = volts/ohms

I = V/R

This formula says to simply divide the voltage across R the ohms of resistance between two points of potential difference to calculate the amperes of current through R.



If we keep the same resistance in a circuit but vary the voltage,the current will vary.
High voltage and low current
It is important to realize that with high voltage, the current can have a low value when there is very high resistance in the circuit. For example, 1000V applied across 1,000,000Ω result in the circuit of only 1/1000 A By ohms law,
I = V/R
=1000V/1,000,000Ω
= 1/1000
I = 0.001A
Low voltage but high current
At the opposite extreme, a low value of voltage in very low resistance circuit can produce a very high current. A 6-v battery connected across Resistance of 0.01Ω produce 600A of current:
I=V/R
= 6V/0.01Ω
I = 600A

0 comments: